One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Muslim Bulgarian.
- ‘This has fuelled suspicion of Muslims in general especially the Pomaks, who many Bulgarians view as Muslim by choice, rather than by tradition.’
- ‘Since that time, the Bulgarian National Assembly has taken measures to restore the Pomaks' civil rights.’
- ‘Nowadays the terms Pomaks and Bulgarian Muslims are used as interchangeable and synonyms, without evaluating the minority group at all.’
- ‘The Muslims of Macedonia consist of Albanians, Turks, Pomaks, Bosnians and Gypsies.’
- ‘These include not only ethnic Macedonians, but Gypsies, Turks, Romanian-speaking Vlachs, indigenous Albanians, and Pomaks: Muslims with Koranic names and traditions, who speak an archaic dialect of Bulgarian.’
- ‘A photography master's project on Bulgarian Pomaks - the descendants of Bulgarians forced to convert to Islam during Ottoman Rule brought her here.’
- ‘It expelled almost 300 000 ethnic Turks and Muslim Slavs, known as Pomaks, segregated Roma and subdued all expressions of ethnic diversity.’
- ‘Among the Pomaks and Gypsies, Christian and Islamic beliefs and practices often coexist.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.