Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting materials or objects made from polymers of vinyl compounds:‘a polyvinyl tube’
- ‘Storm Rolling Thunder bags feature 600 denier polyvinyl fabric, heavy-duty hardware, exceptional upright stability, oversize bearing wheels, and a shoe compartment that accepts up to U.S. men's size 15.’
- ‘All participants were fed via a polyvinyl nasogastric or orogastric tube appropriately sized for each patient's age; an 8F tube was the most common size in both feeding groups.’
- ‘A polyvinyl tube about 4 mm in diameter is passed pernasally after topical anaesthesia.’
- ‘Master-Halco's Color Plus combines a tough polyvinyl coating and a unique bonding agent over galvanized steel, which results in a fence that will withstand harsh elements, as well as provide maximum security and protection.’
- ‘The suction effect of the device is exerted on the foam dressing via a polyvinyl tube that is inserted into the foam through a slit made in the vapor-permeable film drape.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.