Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic resin in which the polymer units are linked by urethane groups, used chiefly as constituents of paints, varnishes, adhesives, and foams:‘five coats of polyurethane’[count noun] ‘polyurethanes serve a variety of uses’
- ‘Materials that exhibit most of these properties are typically polymer-based, either polyurethane or epoxy.’
- ‘Insulation materials have also changed over the years from the original cork sheeting to the CFC-free, foamed in place rigid polyurethane used today.’
- ‘Athletic shoes can contain several petrochemical polymers in their soles and uppers: butadiene, polyurethane, polyethylene, and nylon, to name a few.’
- ‘The polymer is polyurethane, which is foamed to create closed cells.’
- ‘A lightweight foam polymer, usually polystyrene or polyurethane, forms the core of the surfboard.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as adjective polyurethaned
Coat with polyurethane paint or varnish:‘the sanded and polyurethaned floorboards’
- ‘Unlike finish paints, shellac-base primer-sealers, such as Zinsser's B-I-N, will adhere to all cabinet surfaces-painted, polyurethaned, unfinished, Formica, plastic, metal and glass-to form a sound base for the topcoat.’
- ‘Remember to polyurethane your creations after painting to protect them!’
- ‘I filled a couple of nail holes in a transition strip from tile to wood and then I polyurethaned the transition strip.’
- ‘Usually they're in those awful Martha Stewart-ey sort of catalogues, stained a deep cherry and then polyurethaned for the storage of itty-bitty curios (which are sold on the facing page).’
- ‘Mother has a bad habit of seeing to it that antiques are duly re-finished and polyurethaned.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.