Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An elongated polythene-covered frame under which seedlings or other plants are grown outdoors.
- ‘Over the past three years, the business has expanded into strawberries, as well, which are grown in polytunnels in order to be ready out of season, before their outdoor plants mature.’
- ‘The mushrooms, which literally grow overnight in four polytunnels, are sold to supermarket chains through a wholesaler in Trawden.’
- ‘The vandals threw flowers, sprayed the garden, benches and plants with paint and stabbed holes in the sealed polytunnel used to protect flowers grown for the event.’
- ‘The seeds were sown, germinated and grown in the polytunnel for approximately three weeks on average.’
- ‘Liam is bent over tending aubergine plants in one of the endless polytunnels.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.