Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an animal) able to feed on various kinds of food.‘many of those that use alien plants are polyphagous’
- ‘In contrast, only 28% of polyphagous herbivore species had lower densities in polycultures, versus 40% with higher densities in polycultures.’
- ‘This polyphagous species is widely distributed in the Palearctic region and appears to have colonized South and North America within the last several decades.’
- ‘Although these fruit flies are polyphagous, they typically show strong seasonal preferences for certain fruits.’
- ‘Their function as polyphagous predators within orchards was recognized in the 1800's, and several species are known to prey on key tree fruit pests.’
- ‘The two-spotted spider mite and the armyworm S. exigua both are extremely polyphagous herbivores that share many host plant species, have a similar global distribution, and can occur on the same plant species.’
Early 19th century: from Greek poluphagos ‘eating to excess’ + -ous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.