Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A solitary or colonial sedentary form of a coelenterate such as a sea anemone, typically having a columnar body with the mouth uppermost surrounded by a ring of tentacles. In some species, polyps are a phase in the life cycle which alternates with a medusoid phase.Compare with medusa
- ‘Finally solitary polyps or medusae may clone to produce more of their kind.’
- ‘A few, such as Hydra, are solitary polyps that lack a medusoid stage.’
- ‘Do polyps of other cnidarian species have a tissue dynamics similar to that of hydra?’
- ‘Instead, many used a scenario approach to conclude that solitary sessile polyps represent the ancestral cnidarian form.’
- ‘Most hydrozoans alternate between a polyp and a medusa stage - they spend part of their lives as ‘jellyfish’ which are hard to distinguish from scyphozoan jellyfish.’
A small growth, usually benign and with a stalk, protruding from a mucous membrane.
tumour, cancerous growth, malignant growth, malignancy, cancerView synonyms
- ‘Screening for and removal of colorectal cancer and precancerous adenomatous polyps can decrease the incidence of colon disease.’
- ‘What's more, most tumors start out as polyps, or benign growths, in the colon.’
- ‘The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.’
- ‘Colonoscopy revealed diverticulitis and several benign polyps, which were excised.’
- ‘Growths such as polyps or fibroids can often be removed and endometriosis can often be treated with medications or surgery.’
Late Middle English (in polyp): from Old French polipe, from Latin polypus (see polypus). polyp dates from the mid 18th century.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.