One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of polypeptide antibiotics that are active chiefly against Gram-negative bacteria.
- ‘Results of randomized studies assessing the efficacy of triple antibiotic ointment (e.g., polymyxin, bacitracin and neomycin) are indeterminate.’
- ‘Polymyxin B was used as a control agent because it is well known that polymyxins have direct antimicrobial activity and bind stoichiometrically to the lipid A moiety of bacterial LPS.’
- ‘If the area of affected skin is limited, mupirocin is an effective topical therapy; it was more effective than the other topical antibiotics studied (i.e., neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin B, and gentamicin).’
- ‘The vaccine contains lyophilized calf lymph and traces of polymyxin B, streptomycin, tetracycline, and neomycin.’
- ‘If you are having chemotherapy, or if your immune system is low for another reason, or if you are allergic to the drugs neomycin or polymyxin, you should not have the rubella vaccination.’
1940s: from modern Latin polymyxa, from Greek polu- ‘much’ + muxa ‘slime’ + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.