Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A condition marked by inflammation and degeneration of skeletal muscle throughout the body.
- ‘The differential diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica includes malignancy, acute and chronic infections, thyroid disorders, depression, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and polymyositis.’
- ‘Other diseases related to RA that may cause pulmonary fibrosis are systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis and dermatomyositis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma and others.’
- ‘This characteristic is in contrast to many of the other inflammatory myopathic conditions, most notably polymyositis and dermatomyositis, which are typically responsive to steroids.’
- ‘The three main disorders in this group are dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion body myositis.’
- ‘The authors explained that it wasn't myasthenia gravis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, or polymyositis (muscle inflammation), and not carnitine deficiency (an amino acid needed for muscle contraction).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.