A condition marked by inflammation and degeneration of skeletal muscle throughout the body.
- ‘The differential diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica includes malignancy, acute and chronic infections, thyroid disorders, depression, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and polymyositis.’
- ‘Other diseases related to RA that may cause pulmonary fibrosis are systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis and dermatomyositis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma and others.’
- ‘The three main disorders in this group are dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion body myositis.’
- ‘This characteristic is in contrast to many of the other inflammatory myopathic conditions, most notably polymyositis and dermatomyositis, which are typically responsive to steroids.’
- ‘The authors explained that it wasn't myasthenia gravis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, or polymyositis (muscle inflammation), and not carnitine deficiency (an amino acid needed for muscle contraction).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.