Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The condition of occurring in several different forms.‘the complexity and polymorphism of human cognition’
The occurrence of different forms among the members of a population or colony, or in the life cycle of an individual organism.‘the workers of this species exhibit polymorphism, specialized physical castes’
- ‘Examples of the concept include Integration and polymorphism: degree of autonomy of individual versus integration of specialized individuals, relative degrees of fitness (Boardman and Cheetham, 1973; Schopf, 1973; Bates and Kirk, 1985; Pitelka and Ashmun, 1985; Mackie, 1986).’
- ‘Many of the 5000 or so bryozoan species exhibit polymorphism.’
- ‘In the subclass Hexacorallia, polymorphism of polyps in colonies is unknown, so for this group, variation in life cycles simply involves fission.’
- ‘Both position types occur in every crossbill population studied, so the maintenance of this polymorphism necessitates an evolutionary explanation.’
The presence of genetic variation within a population, upon which natural selection can operate.
- ‘Some of the genetic polymorphism that existed in the ancestral populations was lost in the populations of the two lakes.’
- ‘Organisms exhibiting genetic polymorphism often also exhibit true alternative life-history strategies in which behavioral tactics are genetically fixed.’
- ‘A common goal of population genetic investigations is to explain the fate of genetic polymorphism within a species.’
- ‘Double reduction may play a significant role in plant evolution and the maintenance of genetic polymorphism in natural populations.’
- ‘Future clinical trials may be aimed at specific patient populations determined by genetic polymorphism and other risk factors.’
A feature of a programming language that allows routines to use variables of different types at different times.‘object oriented programming introduces novel features like polymorphism’
- ‘The doubling-up of parentheses in the way Verity describes is nothing more or less than an early form of polymorphism, as functions can also be seen as virtual arrays of infinite values.’
- ‘RMI uses object serialization to marshal and unmarshal parameters and does not truncate types, supporting true object-oriented polymorphism.’
- ‘And, templates can be used with inheritance for applications such as parameterized virtuality, which combines the best of two forms of polymorphism.’
- ‘A sketch about patterns, interfaces and polymorphism preceded a discussion of the Memento, Command and Objects for State patterns, which were fine and relatively unambiguous.’
- ‘Late binding in addition to data types provides a needed aspect to allow polymorphism or the choosing of an object's method implementation at run-time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.