Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An organism or inorganic object or material which takes various forms.
- ‘The skeletal morphology of monticular zooids in H. portelli suggests that specialized male polymorphs may not have evolved by Late Eocene times.’
- ‘Complexity in colonial organisms is often equated with the degree of integration in polymorphs.’
- ‘Cavansite was first discovered with its polymorph pentagonite in Oregon but only in small quantities of microscopic crystals.’
- ‘Furthermore, an x-ray powder diffraction pattern obtained from early-formed filamentous crystallites of cholesterol in bile solution has been interpreted as possibly depicting an unknown crystalline polymorph of cholesterol.’
- ‘Immediately after suspension of the lipid film in buffer these samples contain cholesterol crystals at 25 deg C, largely in the form of the low temperature polymorph of anhydrous cholesterol.’
- 1.1Physiology A polymorphonuclear leucocyte.
- ‘Urethritis is confirmed if the urethral smear shows five or more polymorphs per high power field.’
- ‘The diagnosis of acute inflammation was based on the finding of collections of extravascular polymorphs in the epithelium, lamina propria, or muscular layers.’
- ‘There are two main groups: the type of white blood cells known as polymorphs (polymorphonuclear leucocytes - those with multi-lobed nuclei); and macrophages that derive from the monocytes in the blood.’
- ‘The microscopy of genital swabs for polymorphs has shown that higher cell counts per high power field are directly proportional to the positivity rate for C. trachomatis.’
- ‘Neutrophil polymorphs were only occasionally present.’
Early 19th century: from Greek polumorphos, from polu- ‘many’ + morphē ‘form’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.