One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a conglomerate) consisting of fragments of several different rock types.‘polymict eucrites’
- ‘They consist of unconsolidated polymict breccias with angular fragments up to 2 m in diameter, within a sandy matrix, which shows poorly developed flow-parallel bedding.’
- ‘Most bodies consist of monomict gabbro breccia resting directly on polymict conglomerate.’
- ‘The landslide rests on a polymict conglomerate and the lower 2 m of the landslide is intensely brecciated.’
- ‘The Psammite Zone is characterized by metamorphosed feldspathic arenites with some shales, lithic arenites and rare polymict conglomerates.’
- ‘In summary, the Cranford Limestone Formation is a poorly sorted polymict conglomerate with a predominantly carbonate matrix.’
1950s: from poly- ‘much’ + Greek miktos ‘mixed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.