Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of making multiple copies of a DNA sequence, involving repeated reactions with a polymerase.
- ‘The major advance in ancient DNA analysis was the development of the polymerase chain reaction.’
- ‘Sequences were amplified via the polymerase chain reaction.’
- ‘Our editorial did not state that we perform or advocate reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction in blood.’
- ‘The y gene region was subsequently amplified by the polymerase chain reaction.’
- ‘The new technologies virtually negate the need for examinations, and urine testing by polymerase chain reaction or ligase chain reaction is as effective as conventional testing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.