Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of making multiple copies of a DNA sequence, involving repeated reactions with a polymerase.
- ‘The new technologies virtually negate the need for examinations, and urine testing by polymerase chain reaction or ligase chain reaction is as effective as conventional testing.’
- ‘The y gene region was subsequently amplified by the polymerase chain reaction.’
- ‘Our editorial did not state that we perform or advocate reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction in blood.’
- ‘The major advance in ancient DNA analysis was the development of the polymerase chain reaction.’
- ‘Sequences were amplified via the polymerase chain reaction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.