Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or determined by polygenes.‘the theory of polygenic inheritance’
- ‘In contrast, acoustical communication has been suggested to have a polygenic mode of inheritance.’
- ‘Monogenic and polygenic inheritance of adult resistance under controlled and field conditions has been reported in the literature.’
- ‘The technique is intended to integrate Mendelian transmission genetics, allelic frequency, and penetrance with the patterns of covariance expected in polygenic inheritance.’
- ‘In the Belgian tervuren and sheepdog, epilepsy is highly heritable with a polygenic mode of inheritance, though apparently influenced by a single autosomal recessive locus of large effect.’
- ‘The most common cause of genetic disorders is multifactorial or polygenic inheritance.’
1940s: from Greek polugenēs ‘of many kinds’ + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.