Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for polythene
- ‘Greenhouse polyethylene is more expensive, but can last ten years or more.’
- ‘A sampling of fineries made from a hybrid fiber of kevlar, nylon and polyethylene are shown below.’
- ‘The film is based on a combination of nanoscale crystals developed using technical waxes and a polymer such as polyethylene or polypropylene.’
- ‘Opaque high-density polyethylene is probably the best container, but there is no universal rule.’
- ‘The joint should be explored, the debris removed, and the polyethylene exchanged.’
- ‘While enjoying the wind protection, consumers also appreciated the polyethylene floor.’
- ‘Colored polyethylene was used to impart the desired appearance.’
- ‘In the free radical polymerization of ethylene to form polyethylene, a small amount of a peroxide is added to a large volume of ethylene.’
- ‘You may also cover the polyethylene with a thin layer of sand or a thin slab of concrete to protect it from damage.’
- ‘Examples of linear polymers include polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride and polypropylene.’
- ‘It is the world's largest producer of polypropylene and Europe's biggest maker of polyethylene, with sales last year of £3.9 billion.’
- ‘After World War II, the cotton braided coverings were displaced by neoprene and, later, by polyethylene.’
- ‘For this I use the polyethylene tubing: the same stuff found on gear loops.’
- ‘High density polyethylene products, such as milk containers, are cut into small pieces and remelted to make detergent bottles.’
- ‘A polyethylene lining will protect the line from corrosion.’
- ‘The polyethylene is tightened by hand, and the aircraft cable is tightened by winch.’
- ‘Before there was polyethylene there was celluloid, patented in 1870 by John and Isaiah Hyatt, the sons of a blacksmith.’
- ‘In general, wraps made of polyethylene are safer than polyvinyl chloride film.’
- ‘The object should be removed from the polyethylene and the bag or sheeting discarded.’
- ‘Synthetic resins are made by man using modern chemical technology such as the polyethylene and polystyrene used for cosmetics, packaging, etc.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.