One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or resulting from many cycles.
- ‘Interestingly, the latter's mutant song phenotype shows similarities to the wild-type songs of the D. virilis group of species, which has song pulses that are more polycyclic than those of D. melanogaster.’
- ‘In a screen for defective courtship songs, the nonA diss mutant was identified by its abnormal pulse songs, which become increasingly polycyclic and very high in amplitude during a song burst.’
- 1.1Chemistry (of an organic compound) having several rings of atoms in the molecule.‘polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons’
- ‘Chronic exposure to polycyclic aromatic compounds in dusts produced at the plant was suggested as a possible factor in the disease excesses.’
- ‘The respirable portion of particulates can include acid condensates, sulfates, nitrates, and organic compounds (e.g., polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).’
- ‘Church air was found to be considerably higher in carcinogenic polycyclic hydrocarbons than air beside roads travelled by 45,000 vehicles daily.’
- ‘The molecules, called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are common in interstellar space, and many believe they were among the raw materials for life.’
- ‘Hypericin, a polycyclic quinone obtained from plants of the genus Hypericum, has been shown to be a promising photosensitizer.’
- 1.2Geology (of a landform or deposit) having undergone two or more cycles of erosion and deposition.‘there is evidence for polycyclic material in both samples’
- ‘Some structural, petrological and isotopic evidence suggests multi-stage and possibly polycyclic metamorphic evolution of the granulites of the Eastern Ghats belt.’
- ‘The pervasively and multiply deformed polycyclic high-grade metamorphic rocks make it difficult to reconstruct the original evolutionary history of the Mozambique belt.’
- ‘Rounded grains have occasionally been observed in thin section which, together with the very mature suite of heavy minerals present, indicates that at least some of the Manx Group detritus is polycyclic.’
- ‘Chert fragments are likely to be polycyclic but originally derived from obducted deep-sea strata.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.