One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun Polyester.
- ‘I need a washable, durable plaid - fabric content 100% polyester or poly blend.’
- ‘Stretch Twill is a poly/rayon/Lycroflex blend that is both comfortable and very flexible, and offers a casual look with sacrificing performance.’
- ‘The Stretch Twill Pro Bowler, style BRS-007 from Boardroom, is a poly/rayon with Lycroplex blend that is a more mobile and comfortable version of Boardroom's microfibre fabric.’
- ‘Made from a poly/cotton blend, this shirt fits all sizes and has the BaddaBing Club logo printed on its back in metallic silver.’
- ‘The existing men's style is a short-sleeve poly/rayon blend with some surface detail and a soft hand to give it an upscale look and feel.’
- ‘You could begin with the Checkered Flag sheet set made with a poly/cotton blend that's easy care for busy moms.’
2mass noun Polythene.
- ‘Usually one large sheet 7 of poly is used for all four walls of a room in a building.’
- ‘Other, tougher polyethylene options are woven poly and high-density polyethylene, a honeycombed material with better energy efficiency.’
3British historical A polytechnic.
- ‘But media studies at a former poly faces an extra battle to gain credibility among the very media it seeks to understand.’
- ‘First, the old polytechnics were rebranded as universities - a process of levelling-down that has really meant many old universities becoming polys in all but name.’
- ‘Fake your CV so it shows you failed most of your A-levels and just managed to scrape a third-class management degree from a former poly your dad bunged a few thousand quid to, and you will be an irresistible prospect.’
- ‘I have an acquaintance who is employed by one of our better universities (that's code for: not Oxbridge or Edinburgh or St.Andrews, but not a jumped-up poly either).’
- ‘Oxford is outstanding and a former poly can be outstanding in its own distinctive contribution, so I wouldn't like to rank them’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.