One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun Polyester.
- ‘Stretch Twill is a poly/rayon/Lycroflex blend that is both comfortable and very flexible, and offers a casual look with sacrificing performance.’
- ‘The existing men's style is a short-sleeve poly/rayon blend with some surface detail and a soft hand to give it an upscale look and feel.’
- ‘I need a washable, durable plaid - fabric content 100% polyester or poly blend.’
- ‘The Stretch Twill Pro Bowler, style BRS-007 from Boardroom, is a poly/rayon with Lycroplex blend that is a more mobile and comfortable version of Boardroom's microfibre fabric.’
- ‘Made from a poly/cotton blend, this shirt fits all sizes and has the BaddaBing Club logo printed on its back in metallic silver.’
- ‘You could begin with the Checkered Flag sheet set made with a poly/cotton blend that's easy care for busy moms.’
2mass noun Polythene.
- ‘Usually one large sheet 7 of poly is used for all four walls of a room in a building.’
- ‘Other, tougher polyethylene options are woven poly and high-density polyethylene, a honeycombed material with better energy efficiency.’
3British historical A polytechnic.
- ‘I have an acquaintance who is employed by one of our better universities (that's code for: not Oxbridge or Edinburgh or St.Andrews, but not a jumped-up poly either).’
- ‘Fake your CV so it shows you failed most of your A-levels and just managed to scrape a third-class management degree from a former poly your dad bunged a few thousand quid to, and you will be an irresistible prospect.’
- ‘First, the old polytechnics were rebranded as universities - a process of levelling-down that has really meant many old universities becoming polys in all but name.’
- ‘Oxford is outstanding and a former poly can be outstanding in its own distinctive contribution, so I wouldn't like to rank them’.’
- ‘But media studies at a former poly faces an extra battle to gain credibility among the very media it seeks to understand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.