Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hollow tube which develops from a pollen grain when deposited on the stigma of a flower. It penetrates the style and conveys the male gametes to the ovule.
- ‘For example, low temperatures near flowering affect ovule development and pollen tube growth.’
- ‘Guidance of the pollen tube down the style involves mechanical, chemical and physical cues that are not yet fully understood.’
- ‘In only one pollination did a pollen tube appear to enter the ovary, but not the ovule.’
- ‘The grain is empty because the body cell and prothallial nuclei have moved out along the pollen tube towards the archegonia.’
- ‘In pre-zygotic mechanisms, the pollen tube may grow as far as the ovule but not penetrate it, or penetration may be achieved without fertilization.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.