One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of cattle, sheep, or goats) lacking horns, either naturally or because they have been removed.‘the polled variety now has its own register’‘check whether the kids are horned or polled’
- ‘Hornless polled cattle may also have become more numerous through a similar selection process - their priority for selection for a Viking voyage to the British Isles is obvious.’
- ‘What about all those wonderfully attractive polled Angus two and a half year old heifers and steers, cut off in their prime to provide hamburgers for left wingers?’
- ‘Thus, there is an economic incentive to dehorn horned calves or to raise polled calves.’
- ‘Now we either remove the horns early or rear polled breeds.’
- ‘Angus cattle are naturally polled and this is passed onto future generations even when crossbred.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.