Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A form or process of civil government or constitution.‘the civic humanist's polity’‘a vision of a plural Arab polity’
- ‘Banks and post offices burned as a measure of Arab alienation from Israel's constitutional polity.’
- ‘They faced an enormous task of transforming their economies and polities from centralized communist control to the market economies and pluralist democracies that membership required.’
- ‘That must be defended at all costs to preserve our pluralism and democratic polity.’
- ‘The confidence that nonbelievers can reason morally seems to be a precondition for a religiously plural democratic polity.’
- ‘It is a reminder that in the democratic polity of India, all doors of justice are not slammed shut at once.’
- 1.1An organized society; a state as a political entity.‘the period in which West Germany was a distinct polity’
- ‘In other words, in spite of the facade of the modern state, power in most African polities progresses informally, between patron and client along lines of reciprocity.’
- ‘For example, a democratic polity cannot be militarily attacked unless it directly threatens other states.’
- ‘In national polities, designers of constitutions have solved this problem by creating institutions for confidential consultation or deliberation.’
- ‘What about the legitimacy of citing the decisions of constitutional courts in other polities?’
- ‘Only by pushing for a name change can the country build itself as a polity and thereby establish a national identity.’
Mid 16th century: from obsolete French politie, via Latin from Greek politeia citizenship, government, from politēs citizen, from polis city.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.