Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of enteroviruses including those that cause poliomyelitis.
- ‘Viral meningitis may be caused by viruses such as coxsackie, herpes simplex, mumps, the varicella zoster virus of chickenpox and shingles, poliovirus, echoviruses (including enterovisuses).’
- ‘In Mumbai city there is a project to search for wild polioviruses in sewage, conducted by the Enterovirus Research Centre of the Indian Council of Medical Research.’
- ‘Making a countrywide list of all biomedical laboratories and inventorying those having specific pathogen (in this case wild polioviruses or potentially infected material) is a task never before attempted in the country.’
- ‘The purpose of laboratory containment of wild polioviruses is to eliminate the risk of reintroducing wild polioviruses from the laboratory to the community.’
- ‘In addition, other persons living in your house should not take oral poliovirus vaccine since there is a chance they could pass the poliovirus on to you.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.