One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infectious viral disease that affects the central nervous system and can cause temporary or permanent paralysis.
- ‘Neurological disorders, such as poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy, can also cause acquired clubfoot.’
- ‘Other common diseases include schistosomiasis, sleeping sickness, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, and pneumonia.’
- ‘Polio, or poliomyelitis, is an infectious disease caused by a virus that attacks the nervous system.’
- ‘Infectious diseases such as whooping cough, encephalitis, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, rabies, tetanus, syphilis, and botulism rarely are seen now but can cause vocal cord paralysis.’
- ‘The viral disease known as poliomyelitis is highly infectious and can cause total paralysis and even death.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek polios ‘grey’ + muelos ‘marrow’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.