One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person responsible for or involved in formulating policies, especially in politics.
- ‘European policymakers can reel off a string of issues on which there is such division.’
- ‘Soviet involvement was absent in both cases, as U.S. policymakers were well aware.’
- ‘Sensing change was in the air, it lobbied potentially influential politicians and policymakers in a frenzy.’
- ‘No doubt such garbled syntax does great things for policymakers sitting on committees.’
- ‘Each individual is a policymaker, making policy with his own property.’
- ‘Therefore policymakers have a responsibility to understand the impacts of this process.’
- ‘Politicians and policymakers have been quick to grab hold of the biodiversity agenda.’
- ‘That elevates the analyst to a position of greater importance, for it makes the policymaker dependent on the analyst's technical expertise.’
- ‘Unemployment figures hide a trend which is worrying politicians and policymakers.’
- ‘It is surprising that no one is even talking of trying the responsible policymakers for war crimes.’
- ‘Wolfowitz was a key policymaker at the state department during the Reagan years and is the administration's most senior Asian policy expert.’
- ‘For a policymaker, it should be compelling grounds for reform.’
- ‘The imperialist policymakers are motivated above all by questions of their own security.’
- ‘In the wake of the Cold War, U.S. policymakers remain firmly committed to this goal.’
- ‘But for the most part, high and low politics were treated as separate issues by policymakers and scholars alike.’
- ‘It is us in the health profession and not the politicians and policymakers who have to deal with the consequences of this policy.’
- ‘In the months and years after the solution passes into legislation, policymakers will keep a close eye on its progress and look to tweak it as is fit.’
- ‘It does not receive high priority among policymakers, starting with politicians.’
- ‘It is a surprising and important gap, one that health workers and policymakers can no longer afford to ignore.’
- ‘But this is the analysis of a political scientist, not a policymaker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.