One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person responsible for or involved in formulating policies, especially in politics.
- ‘For a policymaker, it should be compelling grounds for reform.’
- ‘It does not receive high priority among policymakers, starting with politicians.’
- ‘Unemployment figures hide a trend which is worrying politicians and policymakers.’
- ‘Therefore policymakers have a responsibility to understand the impacts of this process.’
- ‘But this is the analysis of a political scientist, not a policymaker.’
- ‘The imperialist policymakers are motivated above all by questions of their own security.’
- ‘But for the most part, high and low politics were treated as separate issues by policymakers and scholars alike.’
- ‘In the wake of the Cold War, U.S. policymakers remain firmly committed to this goal.’
- ‘It is a surprising and important gap, one that health workers and policymakers can no longer afford to ignore.’
- ‘In the months and years after the solution passes into legislation, policymakers will keep a close eye on its progress and look to tweak it as is fit.’
- ‘Sensing change was in the air, it lobbied potentially influential politicians and policymakers in a frenzy.’
- ‘European policymakers can reel off a string of issues on which there is such division.’
- ‘That elevates the analyst to a position of greater importance, for it makes the policymaker dependent on the analyst's technical expertise.’
- ‘It is us in the health profession and not the politicians and policymakers who have to deal with the consequences of this policy.’
- ‘Politicians and policymakers have been quick to grab hold of the biodiversity agenda.’
- ‘No doubt such garbled syntax does great things for policymakers sitting on committees.’
- ‘Wolfowitz was a key policymaker at the state department during the Reagan years and is the administration's most senior Asian policy expert.’
- ‘Each individual is a policymaker, making policy with his own property.’
- ‘Soviet involvement was absent in both cases, as U.S. policymakers were well aware.’
- ‘It is surprising that no one is even talking of trying the responsible policymakers for war crimes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.