One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A film based on a police novel, portraying crime and its detection by police.‘a comic strip policier’as modifier ‘he spends his time watching European grade-B policier videos’
- ‘And thus follows the standard Jurisdiction Argument, common to just about every policier ever produced in Hollywood.’
- ‘Expect is an ensemble policier, an uncommonly sunny film with urban chumminess that recalls contemporary Japanese television serials.’
- ‘It's just that it's a policier without any cops.’
- ‘But Dibdin writes the kind of policiers that get reviewed in the TLS, and the latest one had just dropped through the letterbox, and I was going on holiday, and this is the kind of thing you're meant to read on holiday…’
- ‘Most reviewers have treated it as a social drama, even a ‘tragedy’ or a policier.’
- ‘We start off with something that is completely familiar, with all the attributes of the policier: the interrogation, the policeman who falls in love.’
- ‘The first two films of Park Chan-wook's ‘revenge trilogy’, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy are being screened, as is Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder - easily one of the best policiers of the last decade or so.’
- ‘Though more of a conventional policier than a Memento-like parlour game, Insomnia is still remarkable for its intelligence and intensity.’
- ‘This explanation was really unnecessary; his debts to both films are obvious, including Melville's insistence that the policier is the only remaining vehicle for tragedy - at least for a French film-maker.’
- ‘Well before the Gallimard series no less a writer than Camus would draw significantly upon the pulp policier in creating his distinctively cold narrative eye on an indifferent world, the clipped dialogue, the neutral surfaces.’
- ‘It is a ghost story, a tragedy, a policier and a drawing room comedy: a captivating story performed with childlike unselfconsciousness.’
- ‘But the film is less a policier than a post-Foucault case study of the criminal as social transgressor.’
- ‘In the event, keen to mix things up - the first film of the Trilogy, On The Run is more like a thriller and the last After Life a hybrid of policier and intimist drama - Belvaux opts to play the film primarily for its humour.’
- ‘The narrative structure of the policier is thus morbidly suited to the Algerian tragedy, and for a nation desperate for answers, the appeal of the genre could hardly be more plain.’
French, from roman policier ‘detective novel’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.