One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The office or headquarters of a local police force.
- ‘Crime prevention literature is available from local police stations.’
- ‘In Bolton, 10 firearms and 30 rounds of ammunition have been taken to police stations.’
- ‘The call centres are linked to local hospitals, police stations, and municipalities.’
- ‘But the move is unlikely to see the full restoration of local police stations.’
- ‘A crossbow, rifles, swords and bayonets were some of the items collected at police stations across the region.’
- ‘Some of our streets are in a dangerous state of repair, our local police stations are fast disappearing, crime is at a very high level.’
- ‘There were sporadic attacks on police stations, where policemen were disarmed.’
- ‘From police stations to schools to ministries and other government agencies, the story is the same.’
- ‘Even with police stations in central areas it was not uncommon for an officer to be isolated.’
- ‘The men, all white Europeans, had not been charged last night, and were being held in police stations in Sheffield.’
- ‘In common with some of his co-stars, Darren got a feel for his role by paying a visit to one of Newcastle's police stations.’
- ‘The problems have affected callers trying to contact police stations and the force headquarters in Edinburgh.’
- ‘Weather-related injuries were being reported by scores of hospitals and police stations well into the night.’
- ‘These officers, who visit schools either every day or two or three days a week, are mostly based in local police stations.’
- ‘Thousands of people have sought refuge in army bases and police stations.’
- ‘However, the police are active only in urban communities and the few villages with police stations.’
- ‘Advocates can also accompany survivors at the local hospitals or police stations.’
- ‘At this point, presumably, pictures of your face are starting to appear on the walls of police stations all over Sweden.’
- ‘One of the things the commissioner promised when he got into office was that he would not close local police stations.’
- ‘Local police stations are being closed and people complain that beat bobbies have all but disappeared from our streets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.