One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A television series, film, or novel in which the emphasis is on the procedures used by the police in solving the crime.
- ‘While most police procedurals are foolish, 1 in 100 will give a forensic expert the shivers.’
- ‘It doesn't craft stylized types and freeze-dry them, as do most police procedurals.’
- ‘But I cheerfully acknowledge that such police procedurals belong on ‘Mystery!’’
- ‘If you are familiar with British police procedurals, ‘Prime Suspect’ comes to mind.’
- ‘I read village mysteries and hard-boiled American private eye novels, spy thrillers and police procedurals.’
- ‘You also have the problem that occurs in a lot of mysteries and especially police procedurals, of if you have a woman who is partnered with a male, how do you work around the question of sexual attraction?’
- ‘As far as police procedurals go, either version of Insomnia is slightly above average.’
- ‘Let's be honest… one's tolerance for police procedurals can only be pushed so far, regardless of how well they're made.’
- ‘With Leonard on board as a consultant to the show, this will hopefully keep the stories interesting and not your typical police procedurals week after week.’
- ‘It's another bravura performance by the master of the police procedural.’
- ‘It showed that there was a considerable appetite for police procedurals on television, and was followed by a number of pseudo-exotic, weird and not so wonderful series.’
- ‘Who finds police procedurals to be as outdated as dodos?’
- ‘But she also wonders if Sayers would feel any kinship to today's grisly police procedurals, filled with random killings and clinical crime details.’
- ‘From the description of the culprit and his apparent IQ, I think he was in my garden last summer, trying to borrow books; specifically, police procedurals.’
- ‘The novel is part police procedural, part character study and part showcase for Leonard's unsurpassed dialogue.’
- ‘Nevertheless, I urge fans of police procedurals to look around for a markdown price, since this is a solid mystery series that many will enjoy adding to their collection.’
- ‘In the police procedural we may see detectives using a modicum of violence to solve their cases and protect society, but what happens when the cop becomes as violent and dangerous as the criminals?’
- ‘And the trend appears to be more reality shows, more police procedurals, uncertain prospects for sitcoms - and not much in the way of breakout material, according to most critics.’
- ‘Once again this is an absolutely first class thriller - or police procedural - or crime novel.’
- ‘If, for example, you've been reading Ed McBain's 97th Precinct police procedurals for the past 30 years, you may be delighted to discover you're not the only one who's hooked.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.