One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The department of a local or municipal authority in charge of the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.‘the head of the city's police department’
- ‘Behind the chair is a photograph of the president congratulating the police department for its response to the riots.’
- ‘The statements were secretly recorded by a police department informer.’
- ‘The local police department does its best to investigate the crimes, but is totally unprepared to handle such foul murders.’
- ‘A great wave of innovation spawned by World War II-era military technology helped put thousands of police departments on the air.’
- ‘He has moved aggressively to reduce crime in the city by restoring confidence in the police department.’
- ‘He was invited to play golf with the executives of the police department atop a high-rise building.’
- ‘We start to believe that police departments, with their honor, duty, and mission, are immune to the red tape that slows down progress in the rest of the world.’
- ‘Both the city's mayor and police department say the tape does not reflect the way the city's police officers were trained.’
- ‘The police will hold a second open house Monday for people interested in volunteering for the Police Department.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the police department is trying to shut down their investigation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.