Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A climbing bean.
- ‘Almost any type will work - morning glories, moonflowers, hyacinth beans, even pole beans.’
- ‘Try this with other vegetables, such as peas, cucumbers, pole beans or even vining flowers.’
- ‘Joan ties some of the very tall pieces together in a teepee style for pole beans.’
- ‘This is connected to a large bamboo teepee with pole beans, gourds and other climbing plants covering it.’
- ‘There, kudzu grows like a pole bean on steroids.’
- ‘In the vegetable garden, use your tepee to support peas, pole beans, cucumbers, and malabar spinach.’
- ‘Of pole beans, I've enabled yellow and green Kentucky Wonders to hurl themselves up chicken wire or, more recently, fish netting that washed ashore on Cape Cod, where we found great clumps of it on the deserted beach on an autumn vacation.’
- ‘Fresh beans contain fiber, vitamin C, and beta-carotene. ‘Purple Peacock’ is a flavorful pole bean whose green leaves contrast with its purple pods, stems, and flowers; it's also very heat tolerant. ‘Helda’ is a tasty Romano type of bean.’
- ‘The antique red-oak bins filled with Rattlesnake pole beans, Kentucky Wonder bush beans, Truckers Favorite white corn, and Better Boy sweet tomatoes lure gardening enthusiasts and self-sustaining farmers from five counties.’
- ‘Build trellises of 1-by 1-inch wood posts - evenly spaced down the row and connected with string - for vining vegetables such as cucumbers and pole beans.’
- ‘The interplanting of corn, pole beans, and squash, referred to as the ‘Three Sisters,’ was a key characteristic of Oneida and other Iroquois horticultural practices.’
- ‘One year when I grew pole beans and butternut squash in the front yard, I had plenty of beans for my family and friends and put 38 pounds in the freezer.’
- ‘Provide afternoon shade until harvest by erecting shade cloth, or grow broccoli plants in north-south rows on the east side of tall summer crops, such as pole beans and sweet corn.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.