One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A photographic or optical filter that polarizes the light passing through it, used chiefly for reducing reflections and improving contrast.
- ‘After a gentle rain, when the colors are intensely saturated, you can use a polarizing filter to remove surface reflections for even richer color, as well as to deepen the blue of a clearing sky.’
- ‘A UV or strong skylight filter will absorb some of this excess, but a polarizing filter is perhaps the most effective tool.’
- ‘Using 35-millimeter film, the camera produced high quality pairs of images that could be viewed in hand-held illuminated stereoscopes or projected using polarizing filters.’
- ‘If equipped with polarizing filters, these microscopes can also facilitate the identification of fibers, pigments, and particles.’
- ‘A polarizing filter will help you remove surface reflections and see deeper into the pools.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.