Each of the small cells which bud off from an oocyte at the two meiotic divisions and do not develop into ova.
- ‘In addition, the polar bodies contained condensed chromosomes with a normal rosette arrangement.’
- ‘In most multicellular organisms, each of the two meiotic divisions in females results in an oocyte and a polar body, each of which has a distinct morphology and developmental fate.’
- ‘At this time, the primary oocyte's first meiotic division occurs, resulting in the formation of the first polar body and the secondary oocyte.’
- ‘The implication of this suggestion is a chromosome segregation effect in which meiotic nondisjunction would more likely result in the retention of an additional chromosome in the oocyte than in the polar body.’
- ‘The three other products of female meiosis, the polar bodies, arrest in a metaphase state and associate with radiating arrays of microtubules.’