One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fruit machine.
- ‘Well they used to be called one-armed bandits - the pokies.’
- ‘Experiment with a combination of pokies and jackpot strippers.’
- ‘If a tiny minority of Victorians have Gambling problems, banning pokies won't cure them.’
- ‘Whenever we go with my parents to a bistro with pokies, or the casino, (thankfully, not often), they give me a dollar or five with which to play.’
- ‘She was found back on the pokies, gambling again.’
1960s: from poker machine, a type of fruit machine on which playing-card symbols appear.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.