One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An impassive expression that hides one's true feelings.
- ‘He kept a poker face, reported the facts, and protected his sources.’
- ‘‘Done,’ he said simply, sporting his best poker face.’
- ‘Without comment, he took the two cards he needed, hiding his contempt behind his poker face.’
- ‘When he told me, I kept my poker face, but my insides went away.’
- ‘‘Now you're sure you know the rules’ I asked them over the top of my glasses with my sternest poker face.’
- ‘Scott hid his grin behind a poker face - something he'd learned from Johnny.’
- ‘Does he regularly practice his poker face in front of the mirror?’
- ‘My question is, when you know the contestant is giving you the wrong answer and a lot of money is at stake, how do you keep your poker face?’
- ‘Years of practice in maintaining a poker face allowed him to take in his stride the invasion of his office by young women in light, summer dresses and a tale about one of them digging up a fortune while creating a winter herb garden.’
- ‘In Europe and North America, these display rules encourage vivid facial expressions of emotion; a poker face is generally regarded as dull or deceptive.’
- ‘Maguire walks this line with great skill and an unbelievable poker face.’
- ‘When we express our goodwill, we usually use a smile or a welcoming expression, not just a political poker face.’
- ‘He looked like he was brooding, but was hiding it behind the perfect poker face.’
- ‘The joy of it is in the sweat and butterflies, the clamped lips and steely eyes of the poker face.’
- ‘He called his boss at the forwarding company ‘stoneman,’ because his boss has a poker face.’
- ‘It's a poker face that's required in this game, and I've never been much good at cards.’
- ‘‘Well,’ putting on her best poker face, Jennifer continued.’
- ‘Students usually keep a poker face because they don't want to be called on.’
- ‘My hands shook from fear but I kept my poker face.’
- ‘The thing is, I still have to put my poker face up.’
- 1.1 A person with a poker face.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.