One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An anonymous letter that is libellous, abusive, or malicious.
- ‘The arsenal of FBI dirty tactics included non-court authorized wiretaps, undercover plants, agent provocateurs, poison pen letters, black bag jobs, and the compiling of secret dossiers.’
- ‘What you've in fact seen is a man who writes poison pen letters, pushes his father down the stairs, sticks a ruler in his mouth, and eventually murders him.’
- ‘The sort of cowards who send anonymous poison pen letters thrive on imagining they speak for the ‘silent majority’.’
- ‘It follows revelations that Mr Ridsdale had been targeted with a series of poison pen letters threatening himself and his family.’
- ‘A ‘despicable and sick’ person is circulating poison pen letters in a North Yorkshire village.’
- ‘One of her hospital colleagues sent poison pen letters to one of her supporters, and the university authorities in Toronto threatened to sack her, until David Weatherall and David Nathan intervened.’
- ‘The odds of being shot dead by a ruminant must be on a par with being killed by a real poison pen letter.’
- ‘He is invited to investigate a poison pen letter, hardly the kind of thing that the famous Belgian sleuth should be wasting his talents upon, but he's hanging around the village, wrapping up another case, and needs a playful distraction.’
- ‘Well, he's gonna have enough to do, I've got the YTS trainees in the Public Relations office to send out poison pen letters to everyone!’
- ‘The poison pen letters were revealed by Hillam News editor Geoff Hall, who said he had decided to publicise them in the village newsletter to reassure recipients they were not alone.’
- ‘Doesn't this make blogging the modern day equivalent of poison pen letters?’
- ‘FBI agents compiled secret dossiers, illegally wiretapped, used undercover plants and agent provocateurs, sent poison pen letters and staged black bag jobs against black activists and anti-war groups.’
- ‘Mr Daly claimed he and his family have been subjected to a litany of abuse which has included poison pen letters, abusive phone calls and harassment at their isolated farmhouse at Dooneen, seven miles from Killarney.’
- ‘I had poison pen letters, and it was affecting my family.’
- ‘It's normally not my practice to respond to anonymous poison pen letters.’
- ‘The idea that the great principle of protecting journalistic sources was not designed to apply to the political equivalent of a poison pen letter never seems to occur to them.’
- ‘Police have traced the author of a poison pen letter which embroiled a private school in computer porn allegations - but have decided not to prosecute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.