One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American climbing shrub related to poison ivy and having similar properties.
- ‘Ivy Block is applied at least 15 minutes before exposure to poison ivy or poison oak.’
- ‘To dwell on the dearth of bonus material any further would be like rubbing poison oak into a paper cut.’
- ‘Contact eczema is the rash from poison ivy or poison oak, for example.’
- ‘The late Alabama folk herbalist Tommie Bass used plantain for sunburn, stings, poison ivy and poison oak.’
- ‘It's a moderate, 2-mile round-trip; watch for poison oak.’
- ‘Wear long pants and sleeves when the weather permits, and learn how to take off your clothes when you've been out in the poison oak.’
- ‘Symptoms, also caused by rubber accelerators and chemical additives, include redness, itching, crusting, and blisters, resembling the reaction to poison ivy or poison oak.’
- ‘And you can get even better protection by avoiding poison ivy all together, as well as its cousins poison sumac and poison oak.’
- ‘Seventh is poison oak, and what can be said about poison oak?’
- ‘The good news is there is no poison ivy or poison oak in Newfoundland.’
- ‘‘Watch out for the poison oak,’ he warns, pointing to thick clumps along the deer trail we are following.’
- ‘The three girls entered the trees, avoiding the thorns and poison oak that scattered around the ground and branches, to reveal a small, grassy clearing.’
- ‘Common woody plants in the understory were toyon, California hazel, and poison oak.’
- ‘Watch out for poison oak as it is very prolific in the area.’
- ‘He notes that although it was just water, there were dead fish and poison oak contaminating the water all over the course.’
- ‘From a manicured picnic area, you hike down a trail that's steep, skinny, and edged with poison oak, but the route is mercifully short - about 0.25 mile.’
- ‘If a child touches poison ivy, poison oak or a sumac plant, causing an itchy rash with pin-size clear blisters, give him a thorough bath to remove the oily resin that caused the reaction.’
- ‘The nut's hard ash-coloured shell contains toxic substances similar to what is found in poison ivy and poison oak.’
- ‘She says that for centuries, plantain has been used to provide immediate relief from mosquito bites, hornet stings and the painful itching of poison ivy or poison oak.’
- ‘Then after about the 300th warning about poison oak, Rob came over again and pointed out this giant cow chilling in the shade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.