Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a pointed tip or end.‘pointy ears’
sharp, spear-like, needle-like, spear-shaped, v-shaped, tapering, tapered, cone-shaped, conic, conical, acute, sharp-cornered, wedge-shaped, sharp-edged, edged, jagged, spiky, spiked, barbedView synonyms
- ‘Never again will I have to stop shooting for half an hour while some extra in row 178 has his pointy ear glued back on.’
- ‘They were fairly small with short, jet black fur, acid-green eyes and pointy little ears.’
- ‘His hair was blue, he had pointy ears and he had a sort of fierce smile about him.’
- ‘I'm wearing tight black jeans and a black denim shirt, my belt has a big buckle and my boots are pointy.’
- ‘It was one of those moments when you wish you can puncture your eardrums with a sharp pointy object and go deaf.’
- ‘The cows' ears were all different: one had curly ears, another had pointy ears and another had very short ears.’
- ‘Actually, I'd like several goats, with big floppy ears and pointy beards and soulful expressions.’
- ‘He was all lizard green with horns and hoofed feet like a goat and wings like a bat and a long pointy tail.’
- ‘Not only is it really crumbly, but its crumbs are sharp and pointy and really hard to get out of the sheets.’
- ‘He creates the noses and the detail of the fur coats along with the pointy ears.’
- ‘She was a very pretty woman, she had blue hair like his, but longer, and pointy ears.’
- ‘I should have made her wave around something sharp and pointy while she was yelling.’
- ‘Two stiff, pointy rabbit-like ears hung out from the side of its head.’
- ‘They looked really big and they had big horns on their heads that looked sharp and pointy.’
- ‘The hat's not quite right (they didn't do pointy ones) but the rest is fairly accurate.’
- ‘Forks are also long and thin, and have little pointy bits, a bit like the Trident of Neptune, but without any of the powers.’
- ‘In other news, don't whack the middle of the back of your hand against the pointy top corner of your car door.’
- ‘Jeans, a fashion statement all on their own, are paired this season with pointy flats.’
- ‘One girl had brown hair and green eyes, the other had blue hair, blue eyes and pointy ears.’
- ‘The orange trouser suit was teamed with her trademark saucy shoes: embellished pointy ankle boots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.