Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organism that cannot regulate its body temperature except by behavioural means such as basking or burrowing.Often contrasted with homeotherm
- ‘The 10-fold seasonal differences in FMR were reasonable for an ectothermic poikilotherm.’
- ‘Winters may be shorter but they will still be very cold, while concomitant changes in insulating snow cover will have other effects on these poikilotherms.’
- ‘This is distinct from poikilotherms, such as reptiles and amphibians, whose body temperature is just above the ambient temperature, and varies with it.’
- ‘On the positive side, there is substantial evidence that poikilotherms have lower metabolic rates and longer life spans at cooler temperatures (reviewed by FINCH 1990; ARKING 1998).’
- ‘In addition to sequence length, differences between homeotherms and poikilotherms (hagfish, gray mullet, zebrafish, toad, and snake) occur at positions 373 and 400, respectively.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.