One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism that cannot regulate its body temperature except by behavioural means such as basking or burrowing.Often contrasted with homeotherm
- ‘The 10-fold seasonal differences in FMR were reasonable for an ectothermic poikilotherm.’
- ‘Winters may be shorter but they will still be very cold, while concomitant changes in insulating snow cover will have other effects on these poikilotherms.’
- ‘On the positive side, there is substantial evidence that poikilotherms have lower metabolic rates and longer life spans at cooler temperatures (reviewed by FINCH 1990; ARKING 1998).’
- ‘In addition to sequence length, differences between homeotherms and poikilotherms (hagfish, gray mullet, zebrafish, toad, and snake) occur at positions 373 and 400, respectively.’
- ‘This is distinct from poikilotherms, such as reptiles and amphibians, whose body temperature is just above the ambient temperature, and varies with it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.