One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Maori dance in which a ball of flax is swung rhythmically on a string.‘soldiers were welcomed into the village by women doing poi dances’
- ‘She will perform the twirling Poi dance.’
- ‘A poi dance or similar would highlight Maori culture and be far more attractive.’
- ‘In a tiny back room with the lights out, we watch three "maidens" and three "warriors" sing, dance and perform stick games and poi dances with a good dose of humour.’
- ‘Tours are set up to take you to one of the Maori villages, where you will be treated to jaw-dropping displays of Maori weaponry, the graceful poi dance and the haka dance, that has been made famous by the New Zealand rugby team.’
- ‘Oh dear. No haka party or poi dance.’
- ‘We were serenaded, challenged with a Haka and entertained by a traditional stick throwing dance and the ladies' Poi dance.’
- ‘Nightly Maori concerts are held with traditional action songs, poi dances, stick games and the haka.’
- ‘I heard of but did not see a lying-down poi dance especially designed for pregnant women.’
- ‘I came out of there knowing a lot of waiata, all the poi dances, and having been instructed on issues of marae protocol.’
- ‘The action songs all have their counterparts in other areas Of Polynesia, but the poi dance is unique to New Zealand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.