One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A short, fat person.
- ‘This, on the other hand, is likely to prove bait only for food addicts desperate for their next fix, and I'm pretty sure you can outrun a pizza-loving podge no matter how inappropriate your footwear.’
- ‘The one called Hogarth is charcoal-black, a contemplative podge that looks out upon the world with stupefied wonder.’
- 1.1mass noun Excess weight; fat.‘pregnancy podge’
- ‘To be excessively fat is as dangerous as it is to be excessively thin, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of podge.’
- ‘You surely didn't think I would wait until you could hear Santa cursing as he squeezed his podge down your hot, sooty chimney before I mentioned the ‘C’ word, did you?’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.