One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of cruisers with large-calibre guns, operated by the German navy in the Second World War.
- ‘It is interesting to me that the profile of a WWII German pocket battleship should resemble a British Type 45 next generation missile destroyer.’
- ‘The ball rolled back to Beall just six yards out, but the pocket battleship took an age to bite the cherry for a second time and was crowded out before getting a shot in.’
- ‘To the delight of many, the pocket battleship stayed on to share a few beers with the lads at the bar.’
- ‘The side are captained by 5ft 3ins pocket battleship Hudson, who made the headlines nation-wide after winning her first boxing bout in the University's annual tournament with Sandhurst.’
- ‘To get round the restrictions of Versailles, Germany produced pocket battleships.’
- ‘The real Jervis Bay was sunk while defending a convoy against a pocket battleship.’
- ‘Though outgunned by the German's heavy weapons, task force leader Cdre Henry Harwood engaged Graf Spee - at great cost to all three British vessels, which were badly damaged by the pocket battleship's 11 in main turrets.’
- ‘As South Africa's pocket battleship said, that philosophy applied equally well in sport as in life.’
- ‘Attempting a night landing on the Rio del Plata near Montevideo, the aircraft crashed and sank near the wreck of the German pocket battleship Graf Spee.’
- ‘West Indies can at least look forward to a more spirited performance in the field, now that their pocket battleships have been reunited for the first time since the tour of England last summer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.