[mass noun] The presence of air or gas in the cavity between the lungs and the chest wall, causing collapse of the lung.
- ‘The most common complications reported are infection and pneumothorax.’
- ‘Patients with spontaneous pneumothorax do not have clinically apparent lung disease.’
- ‘Only eight of the 24 patients with post-procedure pneumothorax received chest tubes to re-expand their lungs.’
- ‘A small spontaneous pneumothorax in the absence of lung disease will most likely resolve without intervention.’
- ‘Also known as pneumothorax, a collapsed lung is treated by reinflating the lung.’