Inflammation of the walls of the alveoli (air sacs) in the lungs.
- ‘The administration of steroids and antibiotics was started under the diagnosis of acute interstitial pneumonitis, but the symptoms did not improve significantly.’
- ‘Emphysema has been recognized in rare cases of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in nonsmokers.’
- ‘Ammonia gas exposure is associated with a range of upper respiratory symptomatology, including severe cases of chemical pneumonitis and intense pulmonary inflammation.’
- ‘The authors conclude that the new antidepressant, venlafaxine, can cause both pneumonitis and heart failure.’
- ‘The day following a smallpox vaccination, a child of 1 year developed severe pneumonitis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.