Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A parasitic protozoan that can cause fatal pneumonia in people affected with immunodeficiency disease.
- ‘Moreover, providing treatment to prevent vertical transmission of HIV could save the NHS money - for example, by preventing the need for emergency care of an unnecessarily HIV infected infant with pneumocystis pneumonia.’
- ‘She would also be encouraged to begin prophylaxis for pneumocystis carinii pneumonia with Bactrim.’
- ‘He confirms that the photographer was HIV-positive but noted that the pneumonia was not pneumocystis pneumonia, the type usually associated with HIV.’
- ‘He is being treated for pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.’
- ‘I had lost a very close friend in 1982, one of the very first victims of [AIDS-related] pneumocystis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.