One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of physics or technology concerned with the mechanical properties of gases.
- ‘He committed himself not only to electricity but also to meteorology, pneumatics and thermology.’
- ‘Air filtration systems, compressors and some engines use pneumatics to generate energy.’
- ‘In these he described the fundamentals of hydraulics, pneumatics and mechanics as well as countless other applications, including coin operated drinking fountains, self-trimming lanterns, and temple doors opened by lighting a fire.’
- ‘Developing this vehicle to meet the clients’ needs involved specialised computer technology, electrics, electronics, hydraulics and pneumatics.’
- ‘His works look like lecture notes from courses he must have given there on mathematics, physics, pneumatics, and mechanics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.