One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tyre inflated with air.
- ‘It is an aluminium skateboard with four pneumatic tyres and a hand-held throttle.’
- ‘They point out that carts in other States have shifted to pneumatic tyres and axles with leaf-springs to lessen the load on the animals and enable faster transport.’
- ‘It eventually had pneumatic tyres fitted and electric lights.’
- ‘It was the first four wheeled petrol car to run on pneumatic tyres.’
- ‘Besides, animal-drawn vehicles that are fitted with pneumatic tyres would cause less road damage and accidents.’
- ‘John Dunlop, a Scottish veterinary surgeon, is credited with introducing the pneumatic tyre, manufacturing them first for bicycles in 1889.’
- ‘The Rover safety model, built at Coventry from 1885, had a rear-wheel chain drive and from 1888 pneumatic tyres could be fitted.’
- ‘It has no efficient braking system, no pneumatic tyres, no clutch, lights or mirrors and has inadequate steering.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.