One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A form of exercise that involves rapid and repeated stretching and contracting of the muscles, designed to increase strength.
- ‘He also incorporates plyometrics into his routine.’
- ‘That critical combination of strength and speed can be harnessed with plyometrics, a training method that uses stretching and strengthening to ensure muscles perform with maximum force.’
- ‘However, he cautions that only fit people who exercise regularly should try plyometrics.’
- ‘In the gym I tend to do a lot of plyometrics and explosive work because a lot of fencing is about footwork and changing the rhythm.’
- ‘Before you begin plyometrics, warm up for 5 minutes and then stretch.’
- ‘What he's done is mix and match an unusual assortment of resistance-training exercises, plyometrics and cardio work into a sophisticated fat-burning-circuit approach that takes less than an hour to complete.’
- ‘I do a lot of sprinting, a lot of plyometrics, and I introduce a lot of different exercises and techniques.’
- ‘For instance, I'd normally do this workout two months before competition because the plyometrics help increase speed, agility and explosive strength needed for a show.’
- ‘For example, we do plyometrics on Wednesdays in the East gym, so the jumpers tend to come join us.’
- ‘My workout may change from week to week, but it always has the same focus - lots of lifting and plyometrics, a lot of ab work and strengthening of ‘core’ muscles.’
- ‘I also add plyometrics, which really helps me keep strong-it is easiest to perform on a track or grassy area.’
- ‘In other words, incorporating plyometrics into your workout will condition you for the dynamic demands of your sport, the kind that ordinary training can't prepare you for.’
- ‘To increase muscle power, consider adding plyometrics and fast, explosive lifts to your routine.’
- ‘Monday, Wednesday and Friday were my workout days, consisting of one hour of high-intensity weight training and plyometrics, followed by a half-hour of ab training.’
- ‘The problem is that plyometrics often cause excessive muscle soreness and can lead to serious joint injuries.’
- ‘If you are squatting regularly to strengthen and shape your leg muscles, try adding some plyometrics (using explosive movements like bounding, hopping and jumping).’
- ‘I didn't do things like plyometrics and aerobics.’
- ‘Although there's a time and place for high speed, such as plyometrics or sport-specific training, in general you should move the weight slowly and deliberately in a controlled manner.’
- ‘Me and my dad and my buddy Phil all work out together, doing plyometrics, running, weights, stuff like that, just staying in shape.’
- ‘The focus of plyometrics is on power, not muscle growth.’
1970s: from Greek plio ‘more’ + metric.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.