One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person whose power derives from their wealth.‘champagne-swilling plutocrats’
rich person, capitalist, tycoon, magnate, nabob, millionaire, billionaire, multimillionaire, nouveau riche, person of meansView synonyms
- ‘Here corrupt officials - and the plutocrats they enriched through questionable business practices - are making little effort to hide their ill-gotten gains, but actually flaunt them.’
- ‘The other view promises expanded democracy and giving the people, not plutocrats, control of government.’
- ‘Destroying the ability of journalists to conduct investigative reporting using anonymous sources benefits only the one group threatened by investigative reporting, the plutocrats.’
- ‘And in feudal states, plutocrats with the greatest wealth owned the apparatus of governance and held absolute control over the lives of average people.’
- ‘The multimillionaire plutocrat is officially a resident of Portugal, where he owns a golf estate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.