One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deep basin excavated at the foot of a waterfall by the action of the falling water.
- ‘It reminded Callan of a booming waterfall as it crashes into the plunge pool below.’
- ‘The river gorge is a sequence of huge, boulder-choked plunge pools than run only with dust.’
- ‘Then packed back into our jeeps we were driven off to a swimming hole, a small but wonderful little plunge pool held back by a natural damn of gravel and fed by two trickling water falls.’
- ‘For almost two decades, the Tarahumara frog has been absent from the southern Arizona canyons and deep plunge pools to which it had adapted over millennia.’
- ‘Enjoy the splendor of red slickrock sculpted into magnificent canyons with arches, plunge pools, and hanging gardens.’
- ‘Spectacular waterfalls tumble into convenient plunge pools for the refreshment of weary walkers.’
2A small, deep swimming pool, typically one filled with cold water and used to refresh or invigorate the body after a sauna.
swimming pool, baths, lido, piscinaView synonyms
- ‘It has its own plunge pool as well as a private 60 foot berth.’
- ‘There are also two suites, with private plunge pools.’
- ‘The property has direct access to the beach as well as a plunge pool, and is being sold fully furnished.’
- ‘One of the public baths at Pompeii contains two tepidariums and caldariums along with a plunge pool and a large exercise area.’
- ‘What's more, as I took my walk of shame, naked women started leaping from saunas into icy plunge pools.’
- ‘The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and an indoor plunge pool, and there's also a small fitness centre with a sauna and steam bath, and services on offer range from massage and aromatherapy to hairdressing.’
- ‘There were endless corridors, with doors leading to private cabins, and the occasional public space, such as a plunge pool.’
- ‘Now there is a building with a proper plunge pool, and if you are crazy enough you can leap in on New Years Day.’
- ‘The house is decorated with tiled, beamed ceilings and antique furniture, and has a large roof terrace, a plunge pool and a herb garden.’
- ‘It all adds up to a spa experience involving several steam rooms, saunas, plunge pools and foot baths, plus a range of innovative treatments.’
- ‘Up early for breakfast, then back to the room where we had our own balcony which led, via a spiral staircase, to our own private roof terrace with plunge pool.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.