One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tomato of an Italian variety which is large and shaped like a plum.
- ‘Stir in the plum tomatoes and cook, covered, for an additional 2 minutes or until the tomatoes start to soften.’
- ‘‘I would gladly swap an hour in bed for an hour on my allotment picking the last of my raspberries and plum tomatoes,’ he said.’
- ‘On summer evenings, us children would sit on the front doorstep with our supper, which would often be Dutch cheese, spring onions and Dutch plum tomatoes.’
- ‘Roasted baby plum tomato and broad bean stew Baby vegetables in general are pretty tasteless, but these little tomatoes are packed with flavour and don't hold much water, therefore don't completely explode in the oven.’
- ‘Anyway, the day the reader called I had plans to make a salad using leftover chicken, plum tomatoes, goat cheese and figs.’
- ‘He emptied the basket, removed two tins of plum tomatoes, put them on the floor and repacked.’
- ‘Top up with juice of 1 tin of liquidised plum tomatoes + ice.’
- ‘Remove from oven and drain one tin of plum tomatoes.’
- ‘Add the plum tomatoes and 100 ml of water, and let everything bubble together for about 10 minutes.’
- ‘I could certainly do something simple with pasta quills and a can of plum tomatoes.’
- ‘Use bottled chopped tomato rather than fresh - unless of course you live in Spain or Italy and have plum tomatoes ripening in you garden.’
- ‘Cut the plum tomatoes in half lengthways, and remove the seeds.’
- ‘Did I mention the amazing bolognaise sauce the other half makes with rich red wine and plum tomatoes?’
- ‘He went for the plum tomato, buffalo mozzarella and rocket salad with Parmesan shavings, basil and virgin olive oil.’
- ‘Put a can of plum tomatoes, a teaspoon of sugar, a squirt of garlic purée, a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano and a twist or two of black pepper into your food processor and whizz on top speed for a minute or two.’
- ‘Blend the plum tomatoes together with the tomato purée and set aside.’
- ‘But otherwise drain a can of plum tomatoes and add those, chopping roughly first.’
- ‘I had the angel hair pasta with roast plum tomato sauce, basil and aged Parmesan for €8.’
- ‘This Italian Merlot is soft and velvety with good upfront fruit and a satiny finish; matches well with pizza, turkey burgers and pasta lightly tossed with plum tomatoes. $11’
- ‘The fruit and veg stalls were amazing, piled high with fantastic looking produce, plum tomatoes, giant mangos, mountains of artichoke globes, cauliflowers bigger than footballs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.