Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tomato of an Italian variety which is large and shaped like a plum.
- ‘Roasted baby plum tomato and broad bean stew Baby vegetables in general are pretty tasteless, but these little tomatoes are packed with flavour and don't hold much water, therefore don't completely explode in the oven.’
- ‘Use bottled chopped tomato rather than fresh - unless of course you live in Spain or Italy and have plum tomatoes ripening in you garden.’
- ‘I had the angel hair pasta with roast plum tomato sauce, basil and aged Parmesan for €8.’
- ‘The fruit and veg stalls were amazing, piled high with fantastic looking produce, plum tomatoes, giant mangos, mountains of artichoke globes, cauliflowers bigger than footballs.’
- ‘‘I would gladly swap an hour in bed for an hour on my allotment picking the last of my raspberries and plum tomatoes,’ he said.’
- ‘I could certainly do something simple with pasta quills and a can of plum tomatoes.’
- ‘Blend the plum tomatoes together with the tomato purée and set aside.’
- ‘He went for the plum tomato, buffalo mozzarella and rocket salad with Parmesan shavings, basil and virgin olive oil.’
- ‘Anyway, the day the reader called I had plans to make a salad using leftover chicken, plum tomatoes, goat cheese and figs.’
- ‘Top up with juice of 1 tin of liquidised plum tomatoes + ice.’
- ‘Add the plum tomatoes and 100 ml of water, and let everything bubble together for about 10 minutes.’
- ‘But otherwise drain a can of plum tomatoes and add those, chopping roughly first.’
- ‘On summer evenings, us children would sit on the front doorstep with our supper, which would often be Dutch cheese, spring onions and Dutch plum tomatoes.’
- ‘Stir in the plum tomatoes and cook, covered, for an additional 2 minutes or until the tomatoes start to soften.’
- ‘Did I mention the amazing bolognaise sauce the other half makes with rich red wine and plum tomatoes?’
- ‘This Italian Merlot is soft and velvety with good upfront fruit and a satiny finish; matches well with pizza, turkey burgers and pasta lightly tossed with plum tomatoes. $11’
- ‘Put a can of plum tomatoes, a teaspoon of sugar, a squirt of garlic purée, a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano and a twist or two of black pepper into your food processor and whizz on top speed for a minute or two.’
- ‘Cut the plum tomatoes in half lengthways, and remove the seeds.’
- ‘He emptied the basket, removed two tins of plum tomatoes, put them on the floor and repacked.’
- ‘Remove from oven and drain one tin of plum tomatoes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.