One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich boiled suet pudding containing raisins, currants, and spices.
- ‘A scrumptious baked dinner with plum pudding for dessert will be served after the game.’
- ‘It was Christmas Day in the workhouse, and the inmates sat down to a meal of roast beef and pork, followed by plum pudding and fruit.’
- ‘For you, Christmas is about family and traditions, and you rather enjoy the rituals of going to church at midnight and turning off the lights before flaming the plum pudding.’
- ‘Christmas supper includes meat such as chicken and ham followed by plum pudding.’
- ‘The plum pudding has been steamed for close to 10 hours.’
- ‘For anyone interested in ordering Christmas cakes or plum puddings, please do so at this market.’
- ‘It was usually a turkey of about 25 pounds which Sir William always carved, followed by plum pudding.’
- ‘Make sure you eat the frozen spinach and the rest of the plum pudding before we go’.’
- ‘Sweets and plum pudding are an absolute must during Christmas and a precious tradition too.’
- ‘We will have all the regular produce on sale from fresh home baking, free range eggs, jams, honey, pickles, chutneys, plum puddings and Christmas cakes.’
- ‘After three hours of stuffing ourselves, we succumbed to the traditional dessert of plum pudding with brandy sauce, fresh strawberries with various fruits and cream.’
- ‘Dessert consisted of a selection of three which comprised plum pudding, chocolate cake and meringue.’
- ‘The first prize is a Christmas hamper and other prizes include a Christmas cake, whiskey, wine, plum pudding and sweets.’
- ‘We had fresh beef, potatoes and a good plum pudding with brandy sauce - a double allowance of everything, and instead of plain bread it was currant bread for three days.’
- ‘The competition had a Christmas theme and Iris had to produce a selection of festive cookery including a plum pudding, mince pies and homemade short-bread.’
- ‘Olivia was currently preparing the plum pudding and had promised to bring the dough upstairs as soon as it was ready, so that everyone could give it a lucky stir and witness the dropping of a penny into it.’
- ‘It's pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, and plum pudding for Christmas, and some chocolates for Easter.’
- ‘For those who could still eat more, there were a selection of desserts which included the typical dishes of the season, such as plum pudding with brandy sauce, marble cheesecake, Yule log and Snow Mountain.’
- ‘If you still have room, there are desserts such as plum pudding with brandy sauce, Yule Log, chikki kulfi, assorted Swiss Tortes, fresh fruit cheesecakes, and tender coconut and pistachio mousse.’
- ‘By Victorian times, the plum pudding was a major part of the Christmas feast, brought to the table with great pomp.’
Early 18th century: so named because the pudding was originally made with plums, the word plum being retained later to denote ‘raisin’, which became a substituted ingredient.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.