Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An unexpected development in a book, film, television programme, etc.‘I won't give the big plot twist away’
- ‘The fact that eternal life ends up being spookier than death gives the story a unique philosophical dimension, helping to ground the more overwrought plot twists.’
- ‘The rest of the movie is concerned with what passes for plot twists.’
- ‘Wayland then manages to turn the tables on them in a rather surprising string of plot twists.’
- ‘The themes and plot twists will surprise no one well versed in the samurai genre.’
- ‘This is not a film for cynics or suspicious types who expect plot twists to pop out at them.’
- ‘Instead, he spools out an obvious, by-the-numbers plot, with an ending bereft of any impact thanks to a too-convenient plot twist.’
- ‘Plus, the film offers a surprise or two, although the plot twists are gradually revealed rather than sprung upon us.’
- ‘Ultimately, the film is funny, biting and has some neat plot twists.’
- ‘I was once graded down on a high school creative writing assignment for utilizing the same lame plot twist.’
- ‘Anyway, the mystery of James' eccentric behavior is eventually revealed in a plot twist that was blindingly obvious half an hour earlier.’
- ‘The acting is generally strong and the plot twists clever.’
- ‘But nothing is what it seems and plot twists keep you guessing throughout the series.’
- ‘Well, to anyone who didn't see that plot twist coming creakily down the pike, I very much envy your ability to be continually surprised at the movies.’
- ‘The big problem is, the script (by a bunch of folks) is knuckleheaded, employing a plot twist that defies all reason for the sake of mere surprise.’
- ‘The film's portrayal of a powerless woman dragged along by the tide of events doesn't lend itself to edge of the seat plot twists.’
- ‘The psychological theme is left unexplored - abandoned in favor of the old double and triple-cross, the dry satisfaction of the plot twist.’
- ‘Yeah, who didn't see that plot twist coming?’
- ‘Those unfamiliar with the saga are bound to be mystified by the more arcane plot twists.’
- ‘At this point, the film begins to play its highest cards, with a breathtaking new plot twist about every three minutes.’
- ‘Note: This review gives away the plot twist at the end of the first act.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.